Thursday, October 20, 2011

One Picture Explain's A Lot!

This is a picture the horse show photographer took.I love this picture.. but not for the reason you would think. I look like a ham with my head turned sideways. I am actually good friends with Jerry and his wife Suzanne - the photographers. The reason I love this picture is that it explains something.

Remember when I first started to ride aside and was having so much trouble trotting? I was using a beautifully restored Champion and Wilton sidesaddle that did not fit Oliver at all. When Oliver was standing still, the sidesaddle was tilted up, actually a couple of inches higher at the withers than it was at the cantle. Well, this Knoud sidesaddle fits Oliver perfectly and lays completely horizontal upon his back...and yet look what happens when Oliver raises up into his animated trot with his high head carriage? I knew that the saddle tilted when he was trotting, but I had no idea it was to this degree. No wonder it was impossibly hard with the other saddle! I cannot stress enough just how important it is to have a sidesaddle that really fits your horse!

And since I spent the last couple of posts dogging my appearance, I would like to take a moment to point out something I consider a huge success. I LOVE the way the grey gloves soften the look of my hands.. as if just extending them from the sleeves of my jacket! Kind of reminds me of Danny Kaye's grey suit..and same colored shoes in the movie White Christmas!

1 comment:

jane augenstein said...

Wow! Gorgeous photo of you and your beautiful Oliver!!!! :-)