Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Story of my New Tack Trunk..

I have a friend in Tennessee. He is a professional Horse trainer who used to train all of my horses - when he lived in Texas. He hired a Mennonite man to make him several tack trunks..like this one, except his trunks were brown.

I saw the trunks and fell in love with them...so I asked my husband to give me one for my birthday...last March; only I wanted a black trunk with solid brass accents.

Well, I contacted the man and asked him to make me one.

..telling him I would need it by my first show - in September. I thought that was going to be my first show, but that was before I found out I had to have a hysterectomy.

Then I waited...and waited ..and waited...

Month after month passed with no word from him. September came and went and I never heard from him. That is when I restored my antique trunk and started to use it.

Then out of the blue, he called me in November and told me the trunk was done. Honestly, I was a bit miffed. I was not out any money..but now, right before Christmas, I found myself sending off quite a large check for a trunk I really did not need and had no idea how I was going to get it from Tennessee to Texas.Thankfully, the manager of our last horse show lives in Tennessee and she was nice enough to ferry it down here...and well - now I have 2 tack trunks.

I love it..with one exception. That handle on the front looks a bit cheesy to me. It will be replaced. Probably not right away..but someday..

6 comments:

Topaz said...

It's beautiful.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Lovely

phaedra96 said...

Beautiful job; I agree with you on the handle and even the corner brasses. You do need something prettier and not so "stock".

Paula said...

That's a beautiful trunk, and I also agree about the handle. I don't have a front handle on mine, I like the clean line without one. Now you have a show box, and a home box, that's the best of both worlds...except for when what you need is in the other one...

Patrinas Pencil said...

Funny post Julie, you made me smile the way you wrote it. :) I went to a mennonite church for 12 years when My children were small. They are lovely people. Maybe he didn't have a telephone - or maybe he didn't write much - or maybe ....just joking. That was funny that he didn't respond. I would have said. "thanks but I had to get another, as I never heard from you again" You ae too kind!

Hey, thanks for visiting my place again today. It was nice to see you on the bridge. I love your new header here!! Awesomely sweet.

Sooooo glad that you stilll have a job!!

Blessings

Patrina <")>><

Rachel said...

STUNNING! and I am officially insanely jealous. I have 2 top-of-the-line Rubbermaid totes that house my horsie stuff.