Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Daniel Deronda

Daniel Deronda is a novel by George Eliot, first published in 1876. It was the last novel she completed and the only one set in the contemporary Victorian society of her day. Its mixture of social satire and moral searching, along with a sympathetic rendering of Jewish proto-Zionist and Kaballistic ideas has made it a controversial final statement of one of the greatest of Victorian novelists.

The novel has been filmed three times, once as a silent feature and twice for television. It has also been adapted for the stage, most notably in a production in the 1960s by the 69 Theatre Company in Manchester with Vanessa Redgrave as Gwendolen Harleth.


















It was again remade in 2002. Obviously - it is a period type movie with all the pomp that goes with it... amazing costuming, backdrops and history! Period Movie Review ( http://periodmovies.blogspot.com/2006/08/daniel-deronda-2002.html ) gives this movie 5 out of 5 stars!! I have put this down on my Santa's List (aka husband!!)as a stocking stuffer for me!
























Have any of you seen it?

2 comments:

Oregon Equestrian said...

Wasn't this on "Masterpiece Theater?" I'm sure I watched at least part of it.

Love costume dramas when done well.

Anonymous said...

I love your blog)))) It's really great and beautiful)))) True joy to read it :))) And at the moment I'm writing my diploma and the headline is "side-saddle riding", i've got tons of useful information here :)
Thank you for doing it :)))

And I watched "Daniel Deronda" and liked it a lot :) But I like many BBC movies, and there are quite many of them of Victorian epoch. And I can highly recommend "Lark Rise to Candleford" - 3 seasons. May be there are not so many amazing costumes and side-saddle riding, but it's one of the best things I've ever seen!