Thursday, January 7, 2010

Goves - Part 4

Here is another beautiful carved wood glove box that I wanted to share with you.

Although - not specifically for riding gloves, this is a historic pattern for gloves and other accessories!

Look at this elegant fabric glove case. If this were mine, I would store my Mothers beautiful white and cream colored leather gloves in it!

Checking a few more sidesaddle publicationS for information on gloves, I found this:

The Sidesaddle Legacy (How to Ride Aside the American Way) by Martha Coe Friddle and Linda A. Bowlby
"Gloves should be black or brown for the hunt seat and saddle seat rider. In hunter appointment classes, brown gloves, even with a black habit, are correct. Tradition says that a lady did not wear black gloves since the black gloves were dyed and the color would come off onto her hands (they still do that today). Leather is naturally brown so there would be no dye to discolor a lady's hands with brown gloves....Movement of the hands is less noticeable if the color of the gloves blends in and does not contrast with the outfit.

...so there seems to be quite a bit of conflict of what is proper ...and what is not!

5 comments:

sunvalleysally said...

Well, actually brown gloves ARE dyed, that's what aniline dyes are. Further, modern tanning of leather will leave unpleasant discolorations on skin esp. if there is perspiration present.

I believe it was Helen Crabtree who cautioned her eq riders that they shouldn't wear white gloves unless their hands were so flawless that they didn't mind the judge noticing!

sunvalleysally said...

Forgot to add: if you can find them either new (ultra expensive) or gently worn (look in thrift stores) the solution for dye transfer is lined gloves. Aris made lovely fully-lined shortie gloves in many delicious colors for years but I haven't seen them in recent times. These weren't riding gloves per se but were more dress gloves. I had numerous pairs of the Aris brand, including one gorgeous cherry red pair and a pair of sort of a buttery caramel color and both ended up as sidesaddle habit accessories despite their gasp-worthy prices. Occasionally if I'm "in the neighborhood" I'll look in a resale store and equally occasionally (that would actually be "seldom") I'll get lucky and find lined gloves.

Julie said...

I own no less than 25 pairs of leather gloves... some mine, some from my Mother and a very few from my Grandmother. Even have some ELEGANT long long white leather ones! Just exquisite!

Julie said...

Oh - and yes, you are right about Helen Crabtree. I have her book and remember reading that.

Susan said...

It blows me away how much more people used to value their belongings.