Thursday, January 29, 2009

Riding Canes

Riding canes are used for queues normally given to the horse on the right side. The rider can either lightly touch or tap the horse on the right side when asking for the left canter as well as when she needs the horse to bend to the right.

These canes come in many styles and sizes. My friend Brita told me this: "The hunting whips with the stag horn handles were used to reach out and grab gates, and the lashes were used to swish the hounds away from the horses, or as makeshift leashes."

They can be rather plain leather covered sticks..

.or quite elaborate with wonderful ornate tops.

Who would not love to own a riding cane that once belonged to their Great Grandmother!

Even when riding aside in a saddleseat competition, the traditional riding whip can be exchanged for a thicker and more stiff cane.

2 comments:

SmartAlex said...

I love the fouth one. I've been told those were called "Walk-trot sticks", and were also made of blonde wood.
The hunting whips with the stag horn handles were used to reach out and grab gates, and the lashes were used to swish the hounds away from the horses, or as makeshift leashes.

GoonrGrrl said...

Yeah, there's a definite difference between a hunting whip (with thong and lash - used by both sexes for opening gates and controlling hounds) and a riding cane (only used when riding aside). Riding canes can have the staghorn handles but not necessarily.

I own my great aunt's hunting whip, and if you learn to crack it, the thing is GREAT for keeping the neighborhood dogs at bay - any type of dog will respond to it, not just fox hounds. I once scared a pit bull off with it who was determined to kill my cat!

I covet a riding cane though; I've never owned one!