Thursday, January 9, 2014

Historic and Modern Sidesaddle Riding Coats!

Since our recent cold snap and the fact that I went trail riding for the first time with my daughters horse Southern Revival - wearing a long apron, I have been thinking about sidesaddle coats - and what I would love to have at a horse show with me in the case of extreme cold.  Most of our shows are outside and we do have shows in December, February and March and even though I live in South Texas, we get the humid cold, which eats right through your clothes!

I found this picture of a historic riding coat:

...and this is the back of another.  You can't get more detailed than this!!!

..but in my quest for something a tad bit more modern and usable, I found this.

This coat was actually a part of a more modern "Steam Punk" outfit that was ... ahem... too riskay for the likes of me, which is why I only posted these pictures .. 

.. but if you stretch your imagination just a bit and think about what a wonderful elegant addition this could be to a historic outfit... maybe in a more garnet or burgandy color of red or a more modest grey with black detailing....
 
EXCUSE ME - I MUST LEAVE AT ONCE AND GO TO THE FABRIC STORE!!!

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Those are beautiful! I know of someone who remade the second jacket and did a beautiful job of it. I just recently purchased a side saddle and found your blog in the process. I can't wait to start riding aside :)

Best,
Caroline