I received an e-mail from Chris, who is (I believe) an event director at Fort Concho. It said:
"I plan to have you set up near the HQ building, under some trees, right next to the CANNON. There is parking right there and you will know when we are going to fire the gun. That should work for ya. And, there will be some strong young and some old guys to help haul your stuff should you require assistance."
Ummmm.. Cannon??.. I thought they were going to fire off guns.. not CANNONS!
Okay - I thought to myself.. we can do this!!! I just have to find a good hiding place for Oliver.. like say, in the next county somewhere!!! Maybe I can get one of those strong men to help me keep Oliver safe ... and sound. Yep - this is going to be one very exciting event!
Cindy sent my newest riding suit 'overnight'. Since I live way out in the middle of no where.. overnight actually means 2 days. Soo - I am just going to cross my fingers that my suit arrives before I have to leave Friday afternoon. I don't want to wait too long as Map Quest says my drive will be over 5 hours long.
Those beautiful grey gloves came in the mail yesterday... and they are everything and more I had hoped for! Not only do they fit like gloves (ha ha).. but they are longer than they appear in the photo, ending 1 inch further down my arm from my wrist. The pearl button is very elegant too.
I have a list of "I wishes" for the next event.
1. I wish I had at least 3 mannequin's to better display the suits I am not going to be wearing.
2. I wish I had at least 3 more styles of sidesaddle stirrups - antique to modern to show. I currently have a beautiful leather covered slipper stirrup that Pam gave me and a modern brass safety stirrup.
3. I wish I had a really old nice example of a sidesaddle with a rail.
4. I wish I had a riding apron - so that spectators could try it on.
5. I wish I had a saddle stand that was strong enough to allow spectators to sit on a sidesaddle.
6. I wish I had something to sell .. to offset the cost of this.. even though I am thrilled to get the chance to do it.