Wednesday, June 23, 2010

To Die For... Painting

Ahh yes - to own a painting from (in my opinion) the world's best painter of ladies and their horses...Alfred Dedreux. I did a post on him a while back and posted a few more of his paintings along with a short biography. If you would like to see them - go to:
http://ridingaside.blogspot.com/2009/12/paintings-by-dedreux.html
Just look at these lovely scenes!




















..but for now, I will just continue to search for this book, which is no longer in print.

2 comments:

Janice Grinyer said...

Oh my word; the black is stunning...I can see why this is on your book ownership list!

Jen said...

If I remember correctly that book is ONLY published in French and basically impossible to find here in the states. While I was living in the UK and writing my Master's thesis called 'The Fox and The Hound: British Women in Sporting Art 1750-1850' I used a de Dreux painting called 'Lady Alice and Lady Blanche Egerton' and 'Une Amazone en Foret' both which were sold at Christie's in the early 2000s. I was only able to see the book once at University College London's library to get decent scans of his work. I also recommend the works of Sir Francis Grant and John Leech (if you can find his beautiful engravings done for Mr. Sponge's Sporting Tour).