Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Gloves - Part 3

"...white or colored rain gloves tucked under off-side saddle billets with the finger tips forward and just showing in front of flap." Quoted by the NEA Sidesaddle Association.

Rain gloves are historically defined as crocheted gloves - usually of a cotton fabric allowing the rider to take better hold of the reins that would slip through leather gloves.

Just for fun - here is a picture of some antique crochet hooks.

A modern version of rain gloves..

3 comments:

sidesaddlegirl said...

I love those vintage crochet gloves! Too pretty to get mucked up around the stable though, I'd end up poking my fingers through them.

Oregon Equestrian said...

I agree. Way too pretty to get soaked. But how interesting that delicate-looking crochet gloves were intended for the worst weather.

Anna Larson said...

WOW those are some awesome antique crochet hooks!! and the gloves are really pretty also. I guess I'm going to have to find a few old patterns and try and make myself a pair.