Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Riding Corsets!

In researching riding aside, I found that TODAY, many ladies like wearing corsets when they ride! Wow - I always viewed corsets as being binding, tight, restricting and well just plain uncomfortable! At the turn of the 20Th century, ladies knew the standard dress corset would not work for riding - so the Riding Corset was invented.

It's purpose was not to "wasp" the waist, but rather give support to the back and bust, yet allow free movement at the waist and hip. Notice how it flairs away at the bottom.

1 comment:

Vintage Linen Treasures said...

Hi Julie!
I LOVE corsets and have two myself. I don't like the modern ones because they seem to be made for other purposes than practicality. I have a reproduction Victorian corset and a reproduction Elizabethan. The second is my favorite because it does exactly everything you described, though I've never worn it while riding. It IS very comfortable as long as it's not tied up tight like we see in Gone With the Wind - It's not meant to be used like that. Great post!! I really enjoyed it.
Patricia :o)